NIST SP 800-18r1 Appendix A
Appendix A: Sample Information System Security Plan Template
The following sample has been provided ONLY as one example. Agencies may be using other formats and choose to update those to reflect any existing omissions based on this guidance. This is not a mandatory format; it is recognized that numerous agencies and information security service providers may have developed and implemented various approaches for information system security plan development and presentation to suit their own needs for flexibility.
1. Information System Name/Title:
- Unique identifier and name given to the system.
2. Information System Categorization:
- Identify the appropriate FIPS 199 categorization.
3. Information System Owner:
- Name, title, agency, address, email address, and phone number of person who owns the system.
4. Authorizing Official:
- Name, title, agency, address, email address, and phone number of the senior management official designated as the authorizing official.
5. Other Designated Contacts:
- List other key personnel, if applicable; include their title, address, email address, and phone number.
6. Assignment of Security Responsibility:
- Name, title, address, email address, and phone number of person who is responsible for the security of the system.
7. Information System Operational Status:
- Indicate the operational status of the system. If more than one status is selected, list which part of the system is covered under each status.
|Operational||Under Development||Major Modification|
8. Information System Type:
- Indicate if the system is a major application or a general support system. If the system contains minor applications, list them in Section 9. General System Description/Purpose.
|Major Application||General Support System|
9. General System Description/Purpose
- Describe the function or purpose of the system and the information processes.
10. System Environment
- Provide a general description of the technical system. Include the primary hardware, software, and communications equipment.
11. System Interconnections/Information Sharing
- List interconnected systems and system identifiers (if appropriate), provide the system, name, organization, system type (major application or general support system), indicate if there is an ISA/MOU/MOA on file, date of agreement to interconnect, FIPS 199 category, C&A status, and the name of the authorizing official.
|System Name||Organization||Type||Agreement (ISA/MOU/MOA)||Date||FIPS 199 Category||C&A Status||Auth. Official|
12. Related Laws/Regulations/Policies
- List any laws or regulations that establish specific requirements for the confidentiality, integrity, or availability of the data in the system.
13. Minimum Security Controls
Select the appropriate minimum security control baseline (low-, moderate-, high-impact) from NIST SP 800-53, then provide a thorough description of how all the minimum security controls in the applicable baseline are being implemented or planned to be implemented. The description should contain: 1) the security control title; 2) how the security control is being implemented or planned to be implemented; 3) any scoping guidance that has been applied and what type of consideration; and 4) indicate if the security control is a common control and who is responsible for its implementation.
14. Information System Security Plan Completion Date: _____________________
- Enter the completion date of the plan.
15. Information System Security Plan Approval Date: _______________________