Category:NIST SP 800-53r3
NIST Special Publication 800-53r3 Recommended Security Controls for Federal Information Systems and Organizations
The purpose of this publication is to provide guidelines for selecting and specifying security controls for information systems supporting the executive agencies of the federal government to meet the requirements of FIPS 200, Minimum Security Requirements for Federal Information and Information Systems. The guidelines apply to all components of an information system that process, store, or transmit federal information. The guidelines have been developed to help achieve more secure information systems and effective risk management within the federal government by:
- Facilitating a more consistent, comparable, and repeatable approach for selecting and specifying security controls for information systems and organizations;
- Providing a recommendation for minimum security controls for information systems categorized in accordance with FIPS 199, Standards for Security Categorization of Federal Information and Information Systems;
- Providing a stable, yet flexible catalog of security controls for information systems and organizations to meet current organizational protection needs and the demands of future protection needs based on changing requirements and technologies;
- Creating a foundation for the development of assessment methods and procedures for determining security control effectiveness; and
- Improving communication among organizations by providing a common lexicon that supports discussion of risk management concepts.
The guidelines in this special publication are applicable to all federal information systems other than those systems designated as national security systems as defined in 44 U.S.C., Section 3542. The guidelines have been broadly developed from a technical perspective to complement similar guidelines for national security systems and may be used for such systems with the approval of appropriate federal officials exercising policy authority over such systems. State, local, and tribal governments, as well as private sector organizations are encouraged to consider using these guidelines, as appropriate.
- Front Matter
- Chapter One Introduction
- Chapter Two The Fundamentals
- Chapter Three The Process
- Appendix A References
- Appendix B Glossary
- Appendix C Acronyms
- Appendix D Security Control Baselines – Summary
- Appendix E Minimum Assurance Requirements
- Appendix F Security Control Catalog
- Appendix G Information Security Programs
- Appendix H International Information Security Standards
- Appendix I Industrial Control Systems
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category "NIST SP 800-53r3"
The following 16 pages are in this category, out of 16 total.